Day 041: Gone A Reaping
Summary: An expedition sets out to get some more Reaper samples.
Date: 7/10/16
Related: The Wire Wall
Benning Britt Lionel Luther Morgan Wren 


Forests Around the Camp The Wilderness

This forest is a mingling of hardwoods and temperate evergreens, with towering oaks and cedars mixed with slender alders. The ground is covered in grassy mosses and thick ferns — some with sharp, sword-like leaves and others with tight spiraled stems that unfurl toward the crowded canopy. Beyond the trees and ferns, the forest also hosts arching, moss-draped vine maples and flowering blackberry bushes as just some of its flora occupants.

Toward the west, the forest begins to break as the mountains climb, revealing meadow balds and the broad web of the divided Potomac.

Day 41

The goal was to go hunting. Some goals are simply to bring back bodies, that is Wren's intentions anyways. Others may have other ideas, but that bridge will be crossed once it's arrived at. But the impromptu leader of this expedition, he isn't going to say no to whoever wants to go, it's not likely to be a fun experience. So whoever wants to go, goes, but he doesn't wait, heading out in the morning.

Thankfully, especially so to the whatever Trikru went with him, they do not go towards the mountain. The plan was to initially head towards Coesbur. Were a fairly large amount of Reaper presence there, would likely be the best place to look. That changes once they've been traveling long throughout the day, and in the vague area of what was once the delinquent camp. Wren had sent one of the scouts that had come along with them, a man by the name of Klin out ahead, being the sneaky sort. So right now, they're waiting for him to report back.

Britt has been quiet all day, keeping to herself and occasionally helping Klin with the scouting. It's not her forte, but hunting deer is not so different from hunting Reapers, at least in terms of the 'finding them' part. It's the 'when they try to rip your face off' part where things start to diverge.

Maybe Morgan hadn't intended originally to go out Reaper hunting but with the expedition to the mountain taking a good number of people, and his decision that they needed a live one as well, he decided he better go along. Besides, they'll likely need a healer. In addition to his usual equipment, he's got a shock baton to match Lionel's. "So. We need one alive." he tells them all. They knew that right? "If there's several, I'll pick one out and let you know which one not to kill." The others? Toast. And he's got enough vials to take lots of samples though bodies would be better.

Luthor waits in a low crouch, idly tossing a short hatchet over and over in his right hand. Each flick of the weapon sends the handle whipping around the heavier metal head, so that it smacks quietly down into his palm. His dark eyes study the pair of Skaikru, although it is to his fellow Trikru that he speaks, "<In Trigedasleng> Do they really mean to use those metal sticks to face Reapers? What will their skaiheda say when we take their dead bodies back with us?" Morgan's words draw his brows down like descending thunderheads, "We do not take Reapers alive. Their fight is already over."

Benning decided to come along for the hunting trip once she heard that Wren was leading it. Her skills at tracking prey in the forest are well spoken of, even though most of her prey has been deer or boar. She keeps her bow close to her side, keeping silent as Klin moves up ahead. She's in no hurry and actually keeps close to Morgan's side. She nods as Morgan gives out the instructions, making the decision that one of the Reapers will only get the shock batons and the rest will be fair game.

Lionel has his assault rifle slung across his back, but he has agreed to only use it if they are in a life or death situation — much to his grouchy chagrin. He moves with the others, careful of his steps through the foresty surroundings. He has not been out this far, and occasionally whips his head around to catch sight or sound of something new … something he has only seen pictures or heard recordings of. He glances toward Morgan, and then to the man introduced as Luther, and he grimaces. "We are just looking to find out what happened to them before they became full-blown Reapers… taking a live, uh, specimen helps." Though every single reference Lionel can think of in old Earth pop culture suggests that that way leads to death.

"I promised you nothing about taking one alive, Morgan." Wren remarks, turning his head some, as if trying to get the stiffness out of it. He's not fully healed, he knows it, and it shows. And he doesn't like waiting for Klin to come back and give his report. But the deeper they've gone into the woods, the more careful they've become. Don't want to suddenly wind up in the middle of a massive horde like last time. There's a look at Luther. "<In Trigedasleng> They're more than just metal sticks. I've seen what they can do. They contain lightning within them. It's not a weapon to trifle with." That's the best way he describe it.

It's only then Klin appears out from a tree branch, flipping off it and onto the ground. "<In Trigedasleng> This place has Reapers. Not far too. They have claimed the old skaigeda as their home." he says pointing in the direction of the scorched camp. "<In Trigedasleng> They have…made it their home." There's an unsettled tone to his words when says that last part. "<In Trigedasleng> I counted six. They don't know we're here. They are…feeding."

Britt shakes her head to Luthor. "<In Trigedasleng> They are designed to knock out instead of kill, and didn't do well at that when Greh used one. Skaikru foolishness." When Morgan speaks, she slants Wren a pointed look, and is reassured by his response. When Luthor speaks, she nods her agreement. "Helpful or not, it's insanity," she says shortly. "You don't know what these things are capable of." Britt then turns to listen to Klin's report, her mouth tightening in a grim line.

Morgan looks over at Luther when he speaks up but then over to Klin when he reappears. "You didn't." he agrees, nodding to Wren. "Nevertheless, we need one alive. I fought them at Coesbur, Britt. I know. And I would not risk us needlessly. Believe me when I say that this could help your people. It'll be the least dangerous looking one we want. The one most recently changed."

Luther looks over to Wren in surprise, then his frown returns, "<In Trigedasleng> Lightning sticks?" He shakes his head, brushing a dreadlock back behind his shoulder before he nods to Britt, "<In Trigedasleng> It does not surprise me. The simple things," his left hand pats the sword at his hip, and he flips the hand-axe over in his right again, "<In Trigedasleng> work best." He looks between the two Skaikru, the rifle on Lionel's back getting a pointed and distinctly unfriendly look, and then he shrugs and rises to his feet, "I suppose we will have to make them feel not-welcome." Looking to Morgan, he adds, "Only a fool, or someone who thinks they are dealing with a fool, changes an agreement after it is made."

"I will try to cover your people Morgan so they can focus on one of the Reapers," Benning tells him, knowing that the key to knocking one of the Reapers out is to make sure the guys with the sticks don't have to worry about other Reapers jumping on their backs.

Lionel looks around him precariously. He then grunts slightly, offering a vague nod. Kai had said do not get close, but there's no way to avoid that if all he has is his shock baton. He slips into silence, trudging along with the Trikru warriors, feeling very much like the odd man out — save for Morgan. But… med-techs.

"We will discuss it should one of them still be breathing. And we're all still alive." Wren grunts. "I have no intention of letting any live, but should you get lucky and find one that is…it is your responsibility for whatever may happen in your Skaigeda because of it. We don't want any part of that, and for good reason. Dead ones are one thing, they can't hurt anyone at that point. But a live one? The onus of whatever may happen lies on your shoulders. We've given our warnings. What you decide to do with that is up to you." And that is the reality of it, if they Skaikru take one back alive, it's on their heads. "Your healers want bodies, they'll get them. But I make no promises farther than that."

"Are we done arguing?" Klin looks just a tad bit anxious. "I'd like to get this done while there's still light. I've no urge to fight these things in the dark." He rolls his shoulders once, looking around.

Wren nods, then eyes moving to Britt and Benning to join Klin in taking point. "To the old skaigeda. Let's get this done and get out of here before more decide to show up. Archerss, take up positions around the camp in the trees. We'll use the gate as a chokepoint." And the large man is moving out.

It's a short walk to the dropship. The old delinquent camp does not look like it used to. A far cry from it's former glory of what it used to be. What was once a somewhat bustling community is now a charred tomb with blackened gates and fluttering scraps of tarp that move limply in a slight breeze. But it has a new occupants now. And they brought home some take-out dinner. From somewhere. Whether it was Trikru or Skaikru at some point it likely no longer matters. They're in the main campground, all six of them huddled around…something. And even those outside can hear the sound of teeth tearing at flesh and knawing at bone. Klin was right, they were feeding. Even the outside have had some minor aesthetics. Severed heads, some new some older have been propped on the outside of the gates, the walls smeared with blood, bile, other fluids best not described. Combined with the blackened earth the smell of burned earth and rotting meat, it's a bouquet that would best served with a decent Cabernet Sauvignon. Goes good with red meat. Though maybe not this rare.

<FS3> Benning rolls Athletics: Success. (1 7 2 6 1)

<FS3> Wren rolls 7: Failure. (1 5 6 5 3 3 3)

Britt listens to Wren's declaration about the Reaper, her mouth thinning. She does not say anything now, but one might guess from her expression that should a Reaper miraculously survive the assault, she might have a great deal more to say about it. She falls in quietly behind the others, her bow at the ready. "I will support from near behind you," she says to Wren. Britt doesn't believe in climbing trees. No mobility when the shit hits the fan. Her jaw clenches when they come close enough to see what has become of the skaigeda, and she just shakes her head and mumbles something in Treeslang under her breath. Ugh.

"Not changed. Added. Originally, I didn't think we'd need a living one." Morgan says and shrugs slightly. "We've learned more that's changed my mind." Benning's offer gets a smile. "Thanks. We can save him for last though and help kill the others." He unslings his bow from over his shoulder and pulls an arrow as he walks with the others. Not going to bother with a tree though. "We know it's dangerous and we're taking a risk keeping it alive. trust me, if things work out, the result will be worth it. We have to try."

Luther looks over to the other Trikru, "<In Trigedasleng> Does he not understand that adding is changing? Do they not even speak Gonasleng fluently?" He shakes his head at Morgan's insistence, "<In Trigedasleng> He does not listen well either, does he?" As they move toward the old skaigeda, he goes quiet, keeping the throwing axe in his hand and at the ready. He sidles carefully up to the wall by the rolled-aside gate, peeking past it, then looking back to the others, waiting for the archers to get in position.

Benning has no plans to stay on the ground. While she got injured the last time they went up against Reapers, the worst of it happened because she fell out of the tree. She takes a moment to find a good spot and then starts to slowly climb up, moving silently so the Reapers don't take notice of her. She is bringing an extra quiver over her back in case she needs more than 12 arrows for this battle.

<FS3> Wren rolls 7: Good Success. (3 4 7 7 1 2 3)

<FS3> Wren rolls 7: Good Success. (4 5 4 2 8 7 7)

<FS3> Wren rolls 7: Good Success. (7 2 6 5 2 3 7)

<FS3> Wren rolls 7: Success. (7 4 4 6 1 5 1)

<FS3> Wren rolls 7: Success. (1 2 2 2 3 7 3)

<FS3> Wren rolls 8: Success. (3 5 1 4 6 7 6 2)

Lionel is lost in the sea of trigedasleng. Or at least from Luther. "I'll just stay nice and on the ground… I just got down here." His smile quirks, amused all by himself at his joke. Then he considers the dreadlocked Trikru, and then he slips back into quiet again.

Britt casts a grim smirk over at Luther. "<In Trigedasleng> Clearly you haven't spent much time around the skaikids. Been on the Ground just a month and already they know more than we ever will." Just a teeeensy bit of sarcasm there. Yeah, she's assuming neither of the Skaikru can understand her. No, she wouldn't much care if they could. Lionel's remark, at least, gets a brief, neutral glance.

Well, they were not trying to hide their presence. That would kinda defeat the purpose of things. And they were kinda talking near the gate. Also, the fact that Klin falls out of the tree he was trying to cling sooooorta may of caught their attention, the archer swearing under his breathe at his lack of stealth. There's some growling and grumbling from the group, three of the Reapers standing up and looking to investigate the noise, while the other three, perhaps aware of it, haven't gotten up to their feet just yet.

But the gate was going to be used as bottleneck anyways, so it works out well that they're coming. Klin's falling gives the big man just the noise he was looking to make, standing in eyesight of the gate, making it look like it's just him, taking note of Luther is off to the side.

Making some kind of gutternal non-verbal roar of challenge, three of the Reapers start to make for the gate, even if only two can rightly fight through the opening, eyeballing both Wren and Lionel.

Morgan nocks an arrow but pauses a moment to look over the two reapers that show their faces first. They're both grizzled specimens, obviously unsuitable for what they have planned. Hopefully one of the others will be a better choice. Stepping away from the tree, he takes aim at one, not a good enough archer to make being cautious worthwhile.

As promised, Britt hangs back a bit from the melee crew in the cleared-out area in front of the gate. It wasn't that long ago she stood about on this very spot and tried to broker Sonia's deal with the Skaikru. Hopefully this mission turns out better than that one. She draws back the bowstring and takes aim at the one going for Wren.

"<In Trigedasleng> Only driving them from their wall. But is that so different from any teenager?" Luthor glances to Lionel, "<In Trigedasleng> Or twenty-something." His amusement fades as Klin tumbles from the tree, and he looks back a moment, "<In Trigedasleng> Really? In front of the Sky People?" But then he's too busy, stepping out from behind the gate, flipping the axe to the proper way to throw it and looking in at one of the charging Reapers.

Benning sits there in her perch, trying not to laugh at Klin who can't seem to climb a tree. She then hears the Reapers coming and readies an arrow, waiting for her opportunity to shoot. She wants them to get a little closer.

The Guard lifts his head, sharp blue eyes flashing this way and that as he hears the unfamiliar noises. He grabs his shock baton, snapping it to life with a sharp crackle of energy. His eyes search the area, his stance dropping low and ready.

<COMBAT> Reaper6 attacks Lionel with Spear - ARMOR on Chest stops the attack!

<COMBAT> Grounder10 attacks Reaper6 with Bow - Light wound to Abdomen (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Wren attacks Reaper3 with Axe - Light wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Reaper3 attacks Wren with Sword - Light wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Morgan attacks Reaper3 with Bow - Moderate wound to Abdomen (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Luther attacks Reaper6 with Thrown Axe - Moderate wound to Left Arm.

<COMBAT> Lionel attacks Reaper6 with Shock Baton - ARMOR on Chest stops the attack!

<COMBAT> Benning attacks Reaper6 with Bow - Light wound to Left Arm.

<COMBAT> Britt attacks Reaper3 with Bow - Moderate wound to Right Hand.

<COMBAT> Reaper6 has been KO'd!

Benning joins the others in attacking the Reaper that jumps on Lionel with a spear. While her arrow only grazes the Reaper's arm that's holding the spear, the combined efforts seem to drop the monster quickly. She says a silent prayer of thanks that her arrow when true and then finds a new target.

Britt snickers at Luther's commentary about the teenagers. "<In Trigedasleng> Indeed," she agrees. And when he calls her attention to Klin falling out of the tree, she remarks, "<In Trigedasleng> Should fix him up with Akorn." Of course perhaps Luther hasn't heard that story, but Britt doesn't have time to tell it now. For the Reapers are closing in and her brows are knitting in concentration as she lets the first arrow fly into the fray. Trusting Wren to take down the one that has arrows sticking out of him like a pincushion, Britt shifts fire to one of the others who stepped up to take its place.

Yes! Go go doctor bow! He'd be amazing if he ever really practiced it. He should thank Gideon for being such a fine teacher. Pulling an arrow from the quiver, he nocks it and takes a look over the new arrivals that take the place of the dead one. "That one! The one that just came out!" he calls, pointing at a less bestial looking Reaper than the ones around it. "Don't kill that one."

Lionel's shoulder jars left when the spear hits his chest, and he uses the diminish of the Reaper's reach to smack the electrified end of the shock baton against the Reaper's side. He quickly registers the armor, so when he spins back a step, and the Reaper falls, he is heading straight toward the second with intentions of going for above the shoulders.

By this point, the other Reapers have clearly noticed, getting up and running into the fray. One goes down from a hail of arrows and weapons almost before he has a chance to do much of anything, looking more like a pincushion than anything else. Wren and one trade glancing blows with each other, though not without taking a couple of arrows from Britt and Morgan, though he's able to get more out of the gate, leaving the space for two more to appear, eager to enter the fight.

"<In Trigedasleng> Not my fault the branch broke!" Klin says over at Luther, smarting more from injured pride than anything else at the moment. He gets an arrow off just fine, landing in a Reaper gut. "<In Trigedasleng> Nobody saw that happen. It never happened." he grunts.

As for Wren, he does well enough, swinging his axe cleaning his mark and getting one in turn, staggering just slightly from the blow of the sword ot his chest. "There, now I feel loosened up." he spits, swinging again.

Luther hurls the axe while the Reaper is still charging, the head burying itself in the arm of the cannibal, leaving the beastly being to stumble at Lionel's feet. Luthor reaches across his body to draw his dao, spinning it in a tight circle at his right side, "<In Trigedasleng> What's an Akorn? And what never happened, Klin? You falling out of…" he pauses as he advances toward the next Reaper, sword at the ready, "<In Trigedasleng> …tree onto your ass?"

<COMBAT> Reaper4 attacks Lionel with Sword but Lionel DODGES!

<COMBAT> Grounder10 attacks Reaper4 with Bow but MISSES!

<COMBAT> Reaper3 attacks Wren with Sword but Wren DODGES!

<COMBAT> Lionel attacks Reaper4 with Shock Baton but Reaper4 DODGES!

<COMBAT> Benning attacks Reaper8 with Bow and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Wren attacks Reaper3 with Axe - Moderate wound to Right Hand.

<COMBAT> Reaper8 attacks Luther with Sword - ARMOR on Abdomen stops the attack!

<COMBAT> Morgan attacks Reaper3 with Bow - Light wound to Left Hand.

<COMBAT> Luther attacks Reaper8 with Sword - Serious wound to Abdomen (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Britt attacks Reaper4 with Bow - Critical wound to Head.

Dodge for dodge. At least Lionel is keeping even with his opponents. He ducks the swipe of the sword, but goes awfully wide on his own hit that allows the disgusting smelling once-human to dodge out of his hit. His nose wriggles uncomfortably. "What is that awful smell," he says with a grunt.

Benning lets out another arrow but this time the Reaper manages to dodge it as it charges Luther with a sword. The archer grumbles under her breath at the miss, "<In Trigedasleng> Come on Benning…you can do better than that." She keeps an eye on where Morgan is standing to make sure he's not bothered by any of the Reapers.

"NO! Not that one!" Morgan shouts. "Damn it!" An arrow in the head is going to compromise the experiment. "Fine, the one without a weapon. DO NOT kill it." It's not as fresh as the other but it's not too bad. "Lionel, try and take it out, okay?"

"<In Trigedasleng> Akorn is one of the Skaikru girls who likes to fall out of trees," Britt explains to Luther, shifting position a little to the left to track one of the Reapers. "You don't want to know," she tells Lionel flatly as she defiantly looses an arrow straight at the head of the one Morgan pointed out.

When Luthor's chosen target comes charging at him, the Trikru twists away from a slashing sword, catching the strike on his own blade to rob it of power, and then letting it drag across the plastic plates protecting his abs. Dreadlocks rise from the warrior's back as he spins in place, his own sword biting deeply into the once-human's side. He saw the arrow come in as he was attacking, and so he does his best to circle around to provide the covering archer (or archers) a clear line of fire. "Rotten meat. And rotten people."

Wren trades blows again with the Reaper he's fighting, coming out better this time and the last, cutting a decent wound on the other and him letting his armor protect him this time. "Not the best time right now, Morgan!" he says a bit fevered. But yeah, he's a bit too busy to be giving advice in the heat of things, so he'll let his axe do the talking. It make better statements.

There are now four Reapers out past the gate, with a massive looking one with axe looming the background, who could be Wren's long-lost evil twin. Seems he's the leader of this particular band of cannibals. And the four push the joined Trikru/Skaikru forces back, or at least try to by pure savagery alone.

"<In Trigedasleng> So…I guess this would be a bad time to ask you out for drink later, Britt." Klin comments lightly towards the veteran archer, even while makes his own mark with another arrow, he looks a little doe-eyed when she scores that hot shot with the bow. If the man could swoon, he totally would. He probably will. Later.

<COMBAT> Benning attacks Reaper8 with Bow - Serious wound to Abdomen (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Wren attacks Reaper3 with Axe - Critical wound to Head.

<COMBAT> Reaper14 attacks Luther with Brawling - Moderate Stun wound to Left Hand.

<COMBAT> Reaper8 attacks Luther with Sword but Luther DODGES!

<COMBAT> Reaper3 attacks Wren with Sword but Wren DODGES!

<COMBAT> Lionel attacks Reaper4 with Shock Baton - Moderate Stun wound to Neck.

<COMBAT> Reaper4 attacks Lionel with Sword but Lionel DODGES!

<COMBAT> Grounder10 attacks Reaper4 with Bow - Moderate wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Morgan attacks Reaper3 with Bow - Moderate wound to Right Arm.

<COMBAT> Luther attacks Reaper8 with Sword - Serious wound to Abdomen (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Britt attacks Reaper4 with Bow - Serious wound to Left Arm.

<COMBAT> Reaper3 has been KO'd!

<COMBAT> Reaper4 has been KO'd!

<COMBAT> Reaper8 has been KO'd!

Damn. Three for three. Extra nice to Gideon. As the reapers drop, Morgan sets his bow aside and pulls the shock baton. "Lionel, the one WITHOUT the weapon! No one kill the one WITHOUT the weapon!" Like herding cats.

Benning lands a solid shot on the Reaper that's attacking Luther with his sword. Between her shot to the chest and Luther's sword, they manage to quickly dispatch that Reaper as well. She gives a overhears Morgan's call to leave the brawling Reaper alone and then focuses her attention on the big guy with the axe that looks to be the scarier target anyhow.

Britt doesn't even look towards Klin, but if anyone were to see her face at that moment, it makes a priceless WTF expression. Timing, dude. Timing. She doesn't grace his comment with a response, and instead shifts position again. Perhaps a little closer to the fray than wise, but she wants to get a clear shot. At the one without the weapon, again blatantly disregarding Morgan's shouted orders.

"Dude!" Lionel barks, turning toward Morgan with an exasperated expression. "Nothing I can do when they are shooting arrows at them." His gun bounces against his back as a reminder that it is there, but he maintains his grip on his shock baton as he steps forward, noting the guy with the axe.

Attacked by two Reapers, Luthor shoves the unarmed one away with a hand to the chest, buying himself time to parry the sword of his first attacker then slash it back across the Reaper's body, right under his ribs. It's not a deep cut, but it bleeds profusely, and between that and the arrow that sprouts from the wound, the creature falls. Which is a good thing, because the other Reaper bit Luthor. Mostly in the bracer-clad wrist, but ow. Roaring in anger and pain, the Trikru tears his arm away from the Reaper, "<In Trigedasleng> Mother fucker."

And three more go down from a flury of blows and arrows. Wren does his job cleaving a Reaper skull right down the middle of the head, almost down to the shoulders. That will not make a decent sample for the medics, probably not, coupled with another of Morgan's arrows. Lionel, Britt and Klin do a damn good job of falling another, riddled with arrows and particular 'crackle' of electricity form Guard's stun-stick. Benning needles one real good, while Luther does a good job of wanting to show that Reaper what his own insides look like. So three more fall, and the angry looking leader(Wren's Dark Twin)enters the fight, looking right at Guard, upper lip curling in growl.

To Klin's credit, when you ask a question like that and there's little time to really think about the answer, it might be a good one. But the healer/archer is just here to make sure nobody dies. And do a little heroworship, even as he hits his mark yet again.

As for Wren, he doesn't have time to look at his handiwork, but yeah, he probably pleased with himself. Then he takes an eyefull of the big one. "<In Trigedasleng> Flames…I knew him…" he says, perhaps a bit surprised. Still, doesn't stop him from charging in against him, axe at the ready.

<COMBAT> Reaper14 attacks Luther with Brawling - ARMOR on Chest stops the attack!

<COMBAT> Morgan attacks Reaper14 with Shock Baton - Moderate Stun wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Britt attacks Reaper14 with Bow - Moderate wound to Neck.

<COMBAT> Wren attacks Reaper19 with Axe - Critical wound to Abdomen (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Reaper19 attacks Lionel with Axe and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Lionel attacks Reaper19 with Shock Baton - Moderate Stun wound to Right Arm.

<COMBAT> Benning attacks Reaper19 with Bow - Critical wound to Abdomen.

<COMBAT> Luther attacks Reaper14 with Sword - Light wound to Abdomen (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Grounder10 attacks Reaper14 with Bow - Light wound to Abdomen (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Reaper19 has been KO'd!

Zap to the chest and Morgan smiles at yet another successful attack. He rocks. The smile disappears as the shock baton is followed by an arrow and a sword to the one he wanted alive. Backing away from the Reaper, he gazes coldly at Luther and Britt. "Fine. Kill it. We're only trying to reverse the process that's turning /your people/ into Reapers. But why bother, I guess."

Benning looks at the big guy that's bearing down on Lionel and takes very careful aim at the Reaper. She takes a deep breath and lets it out slowly as she releases the arrow. It flies straight and true, hitting the Reaper solidly in the abdomin.

Britt shifts an equally cold stare to Morgan briefly, showing that she heard him, then very deliberately knocks another arrow and fires it at the remaining Reaper.

"<In Trigedasleng> We should give him a chance to take it," Benning calls out to the others. Wanting to try to give Morgan a chance. She holds her arrows but there are others that do not.

"You asked for more Reaper bodies. You have them." Luthor shakes out his left hand, only to get grabbed by the Reaper. The creature tries to tear through his armor, but Luther knees it in the stomach and twists away, just in time for it to be shocked by Morgan. "I will not risk lives for some Skaikru myth. Reapers cannot be saved."

So much for that big guy who looked like he could take a tree down in one swipe. Wren buries his axe in the Reaper's back as it was focusing on Lionel, and coupled with the arrow from Benning, there's just too much damage done too quickly. "What do you mean?" he says with a grunt, pulling his axe free from the other's back. "Explain yourself, Morgan. Process? What process? Do you know what's turning our people into these things?" he manages to ask with a certain kind of steel in his voice.

The reamaining Reaper seems to get the picture to know when he's outnumber and turns to run, to get out of the area before they make short work of him too.

"<Oh no you don't." Klin utters lowly, knocking another arrow to fire at the one starting to run. "<In Trigedasleng> No going back to tell your friends."

Lionel's slam into the Reaper's arm sends a shockwave of pain through his arm. He turns snarply, shrugging at Morgan helplessly. He nudges the fallen Reaper with his foot, reporting back, "Hey! I think this one wants to go home with you, Morgan. Shall I wrap him up, or do you want to take him as is?" Then he ducks as he turns toward the next Reaper still standing, and pushes forward to help Mr. Dreadlocks.

<COMBAT> Reaper14 attacks Luther with Brawling but Luther DODGES!

<COMBAT> Grounder10 attacks Reaper14 with Bow but MISSES!

<COMBAT> Britt attacks Reaper14 with Bow - Moderate wound to Head.

<COMBAT> Luther attacks Reaper14 with Sword - Moderate wound to Abdomen (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Lionel attacks Reaper14 with Shock Baton - Moderate Stun wound to Abdomen.

Morgan puts his baton away as he walks over to one of the dead Reapers. Turning its head first one way then the other, he studies the sides of its neck before taking out a hypo to get some blood from it. Might as well since they're already here.

Benning was willing to hold her action while Lionel tried to stun the monster but now that he's getting away, she pulls an arrow and aims. She's not going to let this creature escape and cause havoc for another Trikru or Skaikru.

Freed from the Reaper's grasp, Luthor ducks under the sweep of an arm, once again slashing the creature under the ribs, this time across the back as he spins around it. As it turns to run, Luthor shifts his sword to his left hand, wincing as the bite marks pull with the motion, and then he collects another axe from his belt, flipping it about to ready it to be thrown. "Can we drop them first, and then talk hopes and dreams?"

Britt's arrow slashes the Reaper's head but doesn't fell it. She shows the thing no mercy, calmly firing another arrow into its fleeing back.

Well, maybe not as dead as Morgan might think. When he uses that hypo, the Reaper stirs, making some kind of wounded animal sound. It's fingers clench dirt, but it seems to be in no shape to really move at the moment. Or do much else other than try to breath. And bleed. Yeah, there's that whole bleeding thing.

Wren isn't the best and throwing or shooting things, so he's not really going to bother on that right now, letting the archers and Luther take care of that whole situation.

Oh yeah, that last Reaper? He's running. Even taking a couple more arrows to his back. He'll likely bleed out no matter what, but that thought likely hasn't occurred to her. So run for the hills. Even if you're still being targeted. A little farther and she might make it out of arrow range. Maybe. If she's lucky.

"I have very important hopes and dreams!" Lionel says in return to Luther before he steps into flank with the Grounder, giving the Reaper someone to turn into if he decides to run.

<COMBAT> Grounder10 attacks Reaper14 with Bow but MISSES!

<COMBAT> Britt attacks Reaper14 with Bow - Light wound to Abdomen (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Benning attacks Reaper14 with Bow - Serious wound to Left Arm.

<COMBAT> Reaper14 has been KO'd!

Morgan jumps a little as the Reaper lets him know it's not quite dead. But it doesn't seem to be able to do much more than mewl in pain so he waits till the vial fills. "Sorry, it'll be over in a second." he tells it, keeping one eye on the hypo and the other on the Reaper in case it's a little stronger than he thinks. "Not your fault I know." Putting the vial away, he reaches for the knife in his boot then presses the point against a specific point on its neck. "Safe passage on your travels." he tells the Reaper and then severs its carotid in one quick thrust. Pulling the knife free, he moves away from the arterial spray and over to the next Reaper to get the next sample.

Britt lowers her bow when the final Reaper falls, letting out a soft, grim sigh of satisfaction. She looks around, making sure that nobody's in danger of bleeding to death or anything. Except the Reapers, of course.

Benning takes aim and sends an arrow into his back, and looks on in satisfaction as the last Reaper falls. She lays her head on the back of the tree and murmurs, "<In Trigedasleng> Not good enough to be a warrior mother? You should look at me now." She then stays in her perch, keeping an eye out for anymore Reapers as Morgan goes about taking the sames that he needs.

Nope, that Reaper does not get far enough away, perhaps have more arrows sticking out of it than any of the other ones. With a grunt, she doesn't get more than twenty yards away before dropping to the ground. From the looks of it, all the noise created has not alerted any more to the area. So it looks like things have gone quiet for the time being.

Klin looks a little relieved at the fact that the action is over man. "<In Trigedasleng> Shit, I am not used to that." he mutters. Sure he knows how to use a bow, but he's mostly a healer, the bow is just for self-defense mostly. "Everyone okay?" he asks, slinging his weapon.

"Over here, Klin." Wren grunt, pointing at the light wound to his chest. There's a look at Morgan finishing off the Reaper that's quite so dead, which quickly becomes all-dead. "I asked you questions earlier, Morgan." he states, looking over the kneeling Skaikru. "What did you mean by the process in which Reapers are created?" And as if to compound that, he adds, "What aren't you telling us?"

"<In Trigedasleng> Klin walks up to Wren, looking at his chest, getting his little kit out. Then a snort. "<t>You big baby. That's not even worth the salve to dress that with."

Luthor waits, waits, hefting the axe, and he's just raising the weapon up over his shoulder when the last arrow hits and the Reaper tumbles. And then he lowers the axe, tucking it back into his belt and moving back to his first victim. "More important than surviving, Skaikru?" He bends over the man, retrieving his axe from the man's arm and wiping the head off on the Reaper's ruined clothes, "<In Trigedasleng> Your fight is over." And then the sword is run across the man's throat and then wipes that blade as well.

Britt begins moving around the fallen Reapers. Apart from the one whose head Wren clove in two, she eyes the rest and checks to be sure they're dead, even going so far as to nudge one with her foot. If by some chance any of them aren't dead yet, she intends to make it so with her short sword. A slight glance towards the others shows that she is, at least, listening to the exchange even if she doesn't say anything.

Morgan looks up from taking a second sampling of blood. "I explained the other day." he tells Wren. "It's why we need samples from them and from you. What's the difference between you? Find the difference and we can try to figure out how it happened. But even if we don't know how, we can try reversing the what. It's probably too late for any of them that have been Reapers a while. But maybe not the ones who have been for a shorter time. Right now, we have just one Reaper to study. After this, we'll have another six samples. And maybe we could have tried reversing it once we identified it."

Lionel's shock baton smacks out, slamming into the Reaper's arm as it brings its limb up to avoid the strike. The so-called human drops, and the Guard is catching his breath as sweat beads at his brow. He listens to Morgan, and he shakes his head slightly. "Please say you're not about to ask us to haul dead Reapers back to Camp Jaha? Because, I'm seriously filing a complaint with the Laborer Department." Which doesn't exist, but Lionel is just itching to file a complaint apparently.

Britt glances to Lionel. "That's why we brought the extra horses." Which one presumes were left a bit back to avoid revealing themselves to the Reapers too soon. Then she slants a hard look to Morgan. "You see what those things can do to a village. Including the children." The muscles of her jaw stand out in sharp relief. "Then you can talk to me about wanting to bring one of those monsters back to a camp filled with innocent villagers. They are no longer Trikru. What you claim is a fairy tale. This is real." She gestures to one of the heads stuck on a spike on the wall.

Benning takes her time climbing down the tree and this time she doesn't embarrass herself by falling out and knocking herself unconscious. She has an easy smile as she starts to make her way over, giving a look to Wren to see if he needs her to do anything. At the mention of bringing the bodies back, she nods and folds her arms. Lifting them onto the horses isn't something she's going to be able to do.

"You said you had a 'theory'." Wren presses. "Even if you are not completely certain, you say that you can possibly reverse this process. What makes them into…" he gestures a hand at the dead Reapers, "…this." A nod at Lionel. "They wanted dead Reapers, they'll get them. So taking back at least two. Though, probably not that one." he points at the one that had it's head cleaved open by his axe. "Whatever ones took the least amount of damage before dying."

Klin steps up away from Wren, seeing how his injuries aren't all that bad to waste on his kit on. He coughs into his fist. "I guess I get it. I don't really like it, but I get it." Clearly he's uncomfortable with handling dead Reapers, but they're not going back to Tondc, so what does he care. Not like they're actually people anymore.

"Horses?" Lionel says, voice a bit tired and somewhat winded. "I hate horses." Mostly because he sees it as angry cars with hooves and teeth. He then shakes his head, looking a bit nonplussed. "Alright… let's get some of those ponies." He claps and then rubs his hands together, as if trying to psyche himself up for this.

Luther sheathes his sword, flexing and testing his left hand as he rises up to his feet. He nods to Britt, agreeing clearly. Wren's words cause him to gesture down to the man at his feet, "This one does not have a great deal of damage." He looks to Wren and gestures around the Reaper-claimed compound, "We will burn the dead. Including the Reapers the Skaikru do not want."

Benning moves and starts gathering branches to make a fire for burning the dead Reapers they're not taking along. She doesn't step between Wren and Morgan's argument. She prefers to keep busy and get this business done with so they can get out of there.

"I'm not really equipped to do an autopsy out here." Morgan tells Lionel, moving to a third Reaper to examine the sides of its neck before taking blood. "And I don't have a bone saw to open its skull." A sword is definitely not ideal. "You have no fucking idea what you're talking about Britt. It's not your fault; your people lost a lot of knowledge. But refusing to learn is your fault if you keep doing it." As the vial fills, he puts that one away too. "It's not the damage that matters but how long they've been Reapers. I want the freshest and the oldest so we can compare the physical changes to their brains." He hasn't taken any blood from those two and moves over to the last. "Wren, I can't say yet. My… medical heda has told me not to say anything yet till we have more than a guess. And then she's tell Kane who'll tell Oxfor. Or more likely Indra now."

"Silver said the same damn thing. That your…healer heda asked you not to divulge what either of you know. I suppose I can respect you following your superior's orders." Wren frowns, shakes his head, unable to do anything else about it. Chain of command an all that. Moving away, he nods at Luther. "And that one. They wanted two." he says, pointing at the female Reaper that was running away when she dropped. "Maybe having one of each would help, I don't know." That was mostly riddled with arrows, shouldn't be in too bad of shape. Seemed to be a younger one to boot. "Look, we've done what we came here to do, none of us was horribly injured. I would call that a job well done. Though…" he looks at the wall of the camp. "I did not expect them to try holing up here." A shrug, and then he moves off, to collect a body.

Britt snorts at Morgan, eyes rolling in disdain. "I know enough to care little for the insults of an arrogant child who has spent his entire life in space." She turns to go help Benning prepare the funeral pyre.

"You think we have not tried to bring Reapers back?" Luther's words begin to catch some anger, "You think that brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers, and children have not tried to bring back those that they knew?" He pulls back his dreadlocks, rebinding them at the back of his neck and nodding sharply at Britt before he turns away to help Benning collect wood and other fuel as well.

Benning keeps her consul as others express their anger. Those words will not bring back those they have lost so she gets a few more branches. She finds some dried moss and brings it back to Britt, "This will make good kindling." She flashes a look to Morgan, a gentle warning that now is not the time to argue about the Reapers.

"Not with medicine, no." Morgan answers, sounding quite sure of that. He makes sure the one they're taking are the two he wants then stows the medical supplies away and retrieves his bow. Walking over to the gate, he does spend a moment looking at the ship. Their former home.

Britt returns Luther's nod in silent approval as she moves over to where Benning is gathering things. "Yeah, that'll do fine," she says. Her words are still thick with tension, but a touch gentler when speaking to the younger woman.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License